Friday, June 15, 2018

A New Look For Batgirl


 
“This is supposed to be a version of the costume that she was working on when she still lived with her dad,” Scott explained in reference to her new, more classic look. “That’s why it looks so much like her original Batgirl: Year One outfit — like, she’s with her dad. She can’t get out back to Burnside, and this is like the emergency. So the version that she was working on [back in the day] that she had stashed here just in case. It helps us with the story a little bit too, because it’s a little less bright — we wanted her to be more stealthy, and we want her to be able to integrate some more tech with the belt.”

And by the sound of things, that emphasis on stealth is going to come in handy. Barbara is headed home to face off against a villain named Grotesque, who harkens back to Batgirl’s original New 52 era run. Created by Gail Simone and Ardian Syaf, Grotesque was “originally, this sort of adrenaline junkie who liked to steal the finer things in life,” according to Scott, “but he got sent away to Blackgate. Now he’s back and we learn that his time in prison has really changed him.”

The new costume will make its debut in Batgirl #26 which hits the stands 08/22/18




My only comment is that while I love all the versions of Batgirl's costume this new version seems a bit soon. I am not tired of the Batgirl of Burnside look yet.







 

6 comments:

nolan said...

Reminds me a bit of Thrillkiller Batgirl. I like it, but not really feeling the assymetry...

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I like the Thrillkiller reference.

nolan said...

Can't wait for the inevitable kotobukiya bishoujo fig... :)

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Now you are talking. Wonder Woman and Super Girl got two figures.

Barbecue17 said...

I like the connection to the Batgirl: year One design although I definitely don't like this costume (thus far) as well as the Burnside look or even the New 52 armored look. It seems well thought out.

Also, I think the asymmetry mentioned in nolan's comment may just be a design note to show off how the suit looks with both low and high boots. I can't see boot asymmetry being a thing unless the mid-1990s 4 Horsemen were designing Babs a new costume for a McFarlane toyline. Remember how every other Spawn and Total Chaos figure has one regular boot and one giant boot?

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I rember those dark days. I love my Thrilliller Batgirl. I loved so many of those Spawn figures. So revolutionary back in the day.