Friday, March 6, 2020

Bloodshot (2020)


I had a blessed childhood. I grew up with comic books and my love for them never wavered. Starting in the early 80s, I became obsessed with all things comic book. I read the trades and learned of new titles and collections that were going to become available. I knew all the artists and writers and creators. Top among them, in MY time was Jim Shooter. From Secret Wars to New Universe To Valiant I followed everything he was a part of. I know of his history as a person who can be difficult to work with - most geniuses are extremely difficult to get along with.



Of all of Shooter's creations I really loved his Valiant Universe. And chief among those characters was Bloodshoot who had within him, the BLOOD OF HEROES. A rare gift that makes one indestructible in any combat situation. A beef roast is all he needs to repair the loss of half his torso. That gift makes him the perfect weapon. A weapons whose mind has been manipulated to the point where Bloodshot has no idea who he really is. But he does know that he wants to be free and he tries to do the right thing and help people only he can help. I couldn't get enough of the comic series like I couldn't get enough of the whole Valiant Universe.



This is the kind of super soldier monster movie is perfect for a guy like Vin Diesel and I am happy his juice got this movie made. It's slick and interesting and just gory enough for my delicate sensibilities. Like with his Riddick series, I could watch Vin do a Bloodshot movie every couple of years. I enjoyed this one that much. The fact that there is NOTHING about it on Rotten Tomatoes usually is a very very bad thing for a film but this one entertained me. It's a fresh look at a very old theme. Some of the action set pieces are terrific are are the twists and turns. It's a solid sci-fi action/revenge film. It gives you exactly what you expect and does it well.


As you can see, Diesel is an advanced super soldier with the ability, through nanites, to repair any damage done to  his body. He also is fast and super strong. His rebirth is thanks to a secret research lab, the kind built to do both great and evil things. The nanites also give Bloodshot the ability to access the internet and instantly learn all kinds of skills like flying a Gulf Stream jet or tracking down his target using advanced satellite technology. He's both Wolverine and The Punisher rolled into one. In the comic book the BLOOD OF HEROES turned Bloodshot's skin white also


The slow motion effects are pretty slick and the whole things is full of some great action scenes but the story of revenge is nothing new. It's the presentation that is fresh and fun once the high concept goes full retard. There is nothing boring going on here. I like the whole Robocop vibe going on here.


Based on the bestselling comic book, Vin Diesel stars as Ray Garrison, a soldier recently killed in action and brought back to life as the superhero Bloodshot by the RST corporation.  With an army of nanotechnology in his veins, he’s an unstoppable force –stronger than ever and able to heal instantly.  But in controlling his body, the company has sway over his mind and memories, too.  Now, Ray doesn’t know what’s real and what’s not – but he’s on a mission to find out.



No comments: