Saturday, September 24, 2016

MacGyver 2016


There is a reason why the original MacGyver is so goofed on in pop culture - we ALL watched it because it was fun to see how Mac would save the day with just bubble gum and paper clips every week. That is the kind of fun I was hoping from this one and I got it. I feel in love with all the characters from just the pilot and that is a very good sign. I need a fun Friday night show and this is the perfect companion to Hell's Kitchen.

 
The new kid Angus MacGyver (Lucas Till) is very appealing in a surfer dude kind of way. He, however is also the smartest kid in the room and has a great team behind him. As the lead he has charm and that is the key to making this concept work. I like the narration they use to bring us up to speed on the mission right from the start. Throws you right into the action in a fresh way.

 
I loved the way they showed you HOW he did his tricks like getting a fingerprint off of wine glass were done. Simple tricks but essential to the storytelling. When I was a kid I would eat up all this knowledge with a spoon. Hell I still love learning this spy stuff to this day. Of course this knowledge is only useful on TV where the success of each technique is foolproof.



2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I like the TV ad where's he all tied up and then he grins and there's a paper clip in his mouth.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I liked the pilot. I hope it stays fun.