Monday, April 17, 2017

The Fate Of The Furious


First of all I can't believe that the EIGHTH film in this franchise made a half a billion dollars on it's first weekend. That just goes to show that CALVIN'S FIRST RULE OF MOVIE SUCCESS is in effect - The HIGHER the concept, the more FULL RETARD you have to go on the execution. These films get more outrageous with each outing and frankly I wouldn't have it any other way. They also never take themselves too seriously which is crucial with this kind of storytelling. This is a 'leave your brain in the car' film. Thinking will only distract you from all the cool things that are happening on screen.



Now by this time the only story left to tell is the one where one of the 'team' turns against his 'family' and the family has to fight against the man who knows them better than they know themselves. Of course that works in reverse as well which is how they will beat him and how they will save him.

The trailer tells you everything you need to know about the movie which is as loud and dumb as we have come to expect from this franchise. All I ever ask from a movie is that it entertains me and this one did that. It's one of the best films I have seen this year. Have I mentioned this is the EIGHTH move in the series? The law of averages should mean that things would get worse with each successive film. This franchise breaks all those rules.


Yes, the story is full of so many holes that you could drive a tank through them but who cares? Everything here is designed to induce your body to produce maximum adrenaline. There were many times when I grabbed the arms and my chair and couldn't let go.

I wish they gave out awards for fight choreography and other forms of stunt work because this movie is full of great scenes of guys fighting and driving their faces off. It's like watching a violent ballet. I loved every second of it. Credit also has to be given to the production crew who created some of the most gonzo action scenes ever put to film. None of it is remotely believable but that is not the point.

Charlize Theron is the best kind of villain because she has no redeeming values. She is just pure cartoonish evil. I enjoyed waiting for the moment when she gets what is coming to her.

 
The cast is clearly having a blast with all this balloon juice and their joy is infectious. I rooted for the good guys the whole time. Even the bad guys like Jason Statham who is now one of the good guys. I hope that the rumored feud between Diesel and Johnson will not keep another movie from being made. This franchise has a lot of life left in it.

 
In the end I left the theatre exhausted but thoroughly entertained. This is the reason we go to the movies in the first place. Don't miss this one. It's a winner.
 

No comments: