Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Happy Back To School Everyone

 
I really miss not being in a classroom for the first day of school. It's a magical time and all downhill from there. Ten months of busting my ass, coaching, marking, planning, and staff meetings. Never again. I do plan to substitute teach this year. It's the best babysitting pay a person can get for an easy six hour work day. And believe it or not I am the kind of substitute that the kids ASK for when they know there teacher will be gone a few days. The teachers feel the same way because I don't let things fall apart when they are gone. I challenge the kids in new ways. I tell a lot of interesting stories about what they are studying and in NO WAY let anyone act like a punk just because they think they can. Of course it helps that I look like a wrestler or dangerous biker. I stared down a kid who threatened me once and he quickly backed away when I told him he could take the first swing - IF he thought he was ready for a shot at the Heavyweight Title. He saw the look in my eyes and backed off. I was so glad because if he had thrown at me, I don't think I could have ever hit a kid back. But if you bluff, be prepared to go all the way with it or the bluff will never work.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hahahahaha, I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall that day! Good for you, Cal!