Sunday, December 16, 2018

Overlord (2018)


I know that 3:14 in the A.M. is not the best time to start a movie like Overlord but here I am. This one is set in WWII and starts with the most harrowing parachute drop in war movie history. My butt got to puckering and didn't unpucker. The chaos and death and stress of the situation is intense. I don't know how anyone got out of it alive and many didn't. What I am saying is don't get attached to anyone, not even the lead who is one of the few black soldiers in a platoon of white boys. But he is the hero here and it's an interesting choice given the racial politics of the time.


This movie is gonzo as hell and you can see that from the trailer alone but it's also one of the freshest takes on the zombie genre I have seen in a long time. And these are Nazi zombies which as we all know are the biggest assholes amongst your types of zombies. And no one will ever convince me that Hitler didn't at least TRY to make killer mutant zombie soldiers like this. 88% on the Rotten Tomatoes.



Did I mention to not get attached to anyone? Well don't. Except maybe the kid because they would never kill a kid....would they?

This one was a fun distraction from the usual. It's the best WWII Nazi Zombie movie that I have ever seen but that is arguably a small, small list of films. It was fun and gory and frightening. For a horror movie baby like myself this one set the perfect tone. Not over the top violent but pretty damn violent nonetheless. I dug it.


All the actors are unknowns but that works in the movie's favor because you get attached to these broad characters who are likable in not your classic 'soldiers in war' stereotypes - the veteran who has seen too much and the newbie soldier who has not seen ENOUGH to know that war is Hell, yet.

It's an old formula but it's a formula because it works.

6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You had me at Nazis but lost me at Zombies.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I know....but I have only seen Nazi snow zombies so unkillable zombies who talk to each other is not bad.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I thought it was a fun film. Had an 80's vibe to it.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I felt the same way. That is why I had to post that VHS cover.

bliss_infinte said...

okay, Cal, this was pretty damn good and fresh but I think you need to add Bone Tomahawk to your 3am movie watching list if you haven't seen it yet.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I have heard about that one so thank you for reminding me. I remember the trailer and wanted to see it.