Friday, May 28, 2010

The Holy Grail


Of all the toys I want to add to my vast collection it's this ROM figure from the late 1970s. It is one of the rare occasions when a comic character followed the development of a toy and not the other way around. It was also a fairly advanced electronic toy for it's time. I came close to buying one in a discount store but changed my mind and bought a 'Millennium Falcon' instead.


As you would suspect, I see that same Falcon everywhere I shop and have yet to find another ROM, mint in box. I also have a soft spot in my heart for the ROM - SPACEKNIGHT comic. It was the title that I had my first letter to Marvel published in and from that I started a correspondence with a pen pal who lived in an American V.A. Hospital. That friendship was one of the most important ones in my life. So seeing these pictures earlier in the week has fueled my desire to finally track down this illusive figure.

6 comments:

AMIT said...

Nice post.

Adsense Alternative

Sam G said...

I'm pretty sure I still have the first issue of ROM buried somewhere in a box.

D.I. Felipe González said...

I'd never seen it before. You are buying your childhood toys because you're having your midlife crisis (believe me, I'm doing more or less the same).

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Oh I was buying toys long before I ever had my midlife crisis.

Nick Ward said...

ROM. I remember this dude. Now I want one too. As kid I always wanted a full-size Dalek from Dr Who. Dreams can come true. The Daleks scared me now I own one! Follow your dream it will take you home.

Anonymous said...

I still have my ROM comics from when I was a kid....I remember seeing that ROM electronic figure at Child World a few times. I also was far too pre-occupied with Star Wars toys and ignored the ROM figure every time I saw it. *sigh*

My kingdom for a time machine.....

:)