Tuesday, December 24, 2013

The Great Cat Family

When I found this on Daily Animation I knew I had to repost it on my blog because its very cool (and is about my beloved kitties). By combining animation with facts, Disney created some of the first and best educational films. A teacher could feel good about showing these 'cartoons' because the high quality and attention to detail they brought to the learning process. Disney's contribution to the field of education is often overlooked and that is a shame. Cartoons have ways of reaching children that live action can't achieve. Especially when children are in the lower grades, it is easier to focus their attention with cartoons. They also retain the knowledge over time longer than they would with just gathering the same information from textbooks. Disney understood the value of 'visual learning'.

I still remember their terrific live action nature films from the 70s. They did much to make me the 'tree hugger' that I am today. Like most anything Walt did, these films stand the test of time. I am happy that they can be enjoyed by a whole new generation of children. I only wish that these films where shown more often on the Disney channel (Family Channel here in Canada). I guarantee that they would be as popular with today's kids as they were in the past.





4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

HRH and I enjoyed watching this very much! I don't think I've ever seen it before.

Kal said...

I need to track down more of these films. They really are terrific.

DrGoat said...

Good stuff. Like these a lot. I too grew up on Disney from the word go, in '55 when my folks brought us to see Snow White at the theater. Kids watch the weirdest shit nowadays. I'ts no wonder they're detached. Need to bring back Rocky and Bullwinkle. That's where I learned to be sarcastic.

Kal said...

And it was GOOD sarcasm. Sarcasm that got a laugh. I don't mind you being a lazy fresh mouthed punk just don't be a boring one. Actually work at being terrible if you want to be a dickhead. THAT will get my respect.