Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Edward Hermann Dead At 71

This one really got to me. There was a time that the sight of Edward Hermann on the Gilmour Girls made me sink into my seat and sigh with satisfaction. He was one of the great character actors who made the successful transition between movies and TV. He made every production he was a part of better by his humanity. He never hit a false note with me.


Of course no tribute is complete without mentioning his greatest role as the head vampire in the Lost Boys (don't bitch to me about spoilers - watch the damn movie). He said the most frightening line I have ever heard a villain say in movies. Chilled me right down to my bones. Hermann knew a good part when he saw it. I was happy to be a fan.



4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh, that is sad news which I hadn't heard. I liked him too. My favourite of his performances is one from many years ago when he was a young man -- "The War Prayer" by Mark Twain. Here's the YouTube link -- the video quality is pretty crappy but the power of his performance still shines through. Be sure to watch to the end!

http://youtu.be/sVYIRbmxHpc

Sam G said...

I first became aware of Mr. Hermann in an episode of MASH. He played a surgeon with PTSD. He also played Herman Munster in a TV movie.

Wings1295 said...

I loved him in Overboard and Big Business.

Mike said...

Heartbreaking. My wife and I are watching "the Good Wife" on Hulu and he showed up on there as one of the lawyers. We binge watched Gilmore Girls recently so this really broke our hearts to see this