Thursday, September 1, 2016

Stranger Things Season Two

 
In a not-so-strange turn of events, Netflix has renewed breakout hit “Stranger Things” for a second season, Variety has learned.

Well apparently both Netflix and the Duffer Brothers failed to head my advice and now will be making season two of the popular summer series that sort of hit us all out of left field. I thought it was great and a loving homage to those movies we all enjoyed in the 80s. It was parts Goonies and part Poltergeist but charted it's own path.


I said after I watched it that I hoped they would never do a sequel. There is no way that they could capture lighting in a bottle again because the tightrope act that the production walked was very delicate. So many things can go wrong with an homage like this - traps the show deftly avoided because NO ONE but the creators had input into the series. Now they have the challenge of surpassing the first season and that is where things can and WILL go wrong. Remember you heard it here first. I think it's a mistake to do a sequel with the same cast in the same town despite the fact that I would love to see them rescue Eleven but then that takes all the power away from her sacrifice. If they were smart they would recast the whole thing, move the storyline ten years into the future (maybe at the start of the internet age) and tell another cool kids vs monsters story. I just don't want them to spoil something that I really enjoyed because it was so unique. Leave it alone and Stranger Things becomes a classic. Mess with it and you risk it becoming a joke. Remember what happen to season two of TRUE DETECTIVE??

Before the renewal was announced, the Duffer brothers also spoke at the Television Critics Association press tour, telling reporters that there’s more to the story and they hope they get to tell it. “We want it to feel like a big movie,” Matt said. “But there’s a bigger mythology, and there’s a lot of dangling threads at the end. We could explore it if Netflix wanted to continue.”

 

2 comments:

Tim Knight said...

But the much maligned second season of True Detective did exactly what you're suggesting here, changed everything, recast etc Just have faith, don't run it down before you've seen a single frame ;-)

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I just like it so much that like FIREFLY I don't want to see it messed with. I want it to remain pure. But don't worry I will watch because if I don't watch I have no reason to bitch.