Thursday, January 25, 2018

50 Year Anniversary Of Planet Of The Apes

 
2018 marks the 50th anniversary of the sci-fi classic, Planet of the Apes. But where did this iconic franchise begin?

In 1963, Pierre Boulle’s novel, La Planète des Singes proposed an alternate future where humans were no longer the dominant species of the planet. No longer the most technologically advanced. No longer the strongest. It was a Planet of the Apes.

By 1968, the film adaptation of Planet of the Apes was released in theatres—and it took audiences by storm. Four sequels, two television series, numerous graphic novel adaptations, a remake, and a modern film saga later, Planet of the Apes remains a staple sci-fi franchise 50 years in the making.

Join us in a year-long celebration of Planet of the Apes, with a digital exploration through half a century of innovative storytelling. On PlanetoftheApes.com, our social channels, and monthly newsletter, we’ll journey through the worlds, storylines, and characters that defined the franchise. We’ll deliver insider access to never-before-seen archives of how the films were made, and how they’ve changed cinema forever.

Throughout the year, we’ll also be giving-away exclusive, one-of-a-kind prizes that we think you’ll all love.

The 50th Anniversary of Planet of the Apes
1968-2018.


http://www.planetoftheapes.com/anniversary/article-50th-kickoff

One of my favorite film franchises of all time. I loved everything about the first film when I first say it at the Base theatre. I was a double mantinee bill with Logans Runs. I thought my mind was going to explode especially when the twist ending showed up. During the video age you could rent all four of the first run of these movies and today I can download the three that define the modern age of ape movies. I love it all and even have the Ape action figures from Mego. There is even a version that recuts the film in black and white so that it plays like a Twilight Zone episode. I have to track that down to share.







 

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

FIFTY YEARS OLD? That cannot possibly be right. Why, I saw this movie in the theatres when I was a kid . . . oh fuck, I'm old.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I hear you. I HATE when my age is measured in movies and they do that alot on Facebooks.

Chase March said...

I love the franchise too. I even read the novel? Have you? It's different but really good too.