Tuesday, July 31, 2012

GQ Asks - What Makes An Ideal Man?


We all know that a REAL man would fight a tiger and a python to keep them from derailing a train full of orphans on their way to turmor removal surgery in the big city.

Survey findings – what makes a man close to ideal?
Honesty.
Kindness.
Intelligence.
Has a good sense of humour.
More likely to have blue eyes than brown.
Speaks at least two languages.
More important that he is romantic than good in bed.
Meat eaters are preferred to vegetarians.
Is a good listener.

Survey findings – moderately important characteristics:
Drives a European car.
Wears a suit to work.
Has a degree.
Is clean shaven.

What do men think makes themselves ideal (more so than women)?
The ability to provide for their families.
Confidence.
Style.

I like that the survey says nothing about physical attractiveness and we all know that good looks will always trump all other possitive qualities that a person has. No one will ever know how great you are if they can't get past your weight, or your baldness. Good looks open doors and excuse bad behavior. Only after someone knows me for awhile do they see the value of inner qualities.

6 comments:

M. D. Jackson said...

Blue eyes over brown? What kind of racist survey is this?

ShezCrafti said...

I don't agree. Confidence is absolutely #1. You can be overweight, or bald or conventionally unattractive or whatever your deal is and still be incredibly sexy if your confidence is strong. It's the self-assurance and projected sense of cool we're attracted to. We like "the game." We like the feeling of being desired by someone who ACTS desirable. We're self-conscious enough as it is in this unfairly image-conscious, airbrushed world that holds women to impossible standards of beauty--the very last thing we want is a man who whines about his genetic lot.

DrGoat said...

I'm afraid I have to agree with Cal. Attractiveness, especially height, can give a definite advantage. Check out the chart in Wiki concerning heights of presidents. All you have to do is look around in this country to see who is successful and who isn't. Confidence is great if you are bald, or large, or small or short, but good luck in the real world.

Kal said...

Confidence is the key but it's hard to hold onto when you are constantly evaluating everyone's reactions to you. Trust me, I can schmooze with the best of them and charm a snake from the tree but in the end I wish I had the power that came with physical beauty. Then I could really make some trouble.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I often see "Sense of Humor" on surveys like this, but I don't really understand why. A sense of humor is good for small talk and compatible interests are necessary for the start of a relationship, but I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a marriage counselor on the planet on who started a session with the wife saying "Doctor, my husband just isn't funny anymore."

I'm honestly surprised that "financially responsibility"/"good job" aren't higher on the list. Sure a European car is a nice luxury, but an older car thats paid off is better. I'm shocked that "emotionally stable" or "good tempered" isn't anywhere on here as that would be something important in the long run.

Kal said...

Yeh, I admire stable and steady because I am neither of those things.