Saturday, February 25, 2017

The Hole Book: An Illustrated Warning On Guns (1908)

Poet and illustrator Peter Newell (1862 – 1924) saw his The Hole Book published in 1908. A bullet has been accidentally shot by Tom Potts. The projectile passes through the story as it enters and exits people lives. There are more than few instances of racial stereotypes and not everyone survives.

 
I usually don't post something this large but you really had to see the entire book in one spot to enjoy all the things that are great about it. First of all the concept is great, the poetry is fun as are the illustrations. I hope the book actually has the hole in it in the same place on every page. As a kid I would have been all over this one. I was a real library rat and I soaked up interesting books like this one whenever I found them. I searched those aisles for any such gems I could take out. I always maxed out my allowable borrowing limits because five books a week always seemed unfair to me. If another kid in class only took out three books couldn't I take his other three choices? I had many problems with the world I grew up in and limiting my books was only one of the things that let me down.
 









 





































 

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, it's very much a book of its time but a fun find, Cal!

Jordan said...

Absolutely fantastic.

This is why I always come here...you always find such great stuff!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I do, don't I. It's my hobby.

DrGoat said...

That's a choice find. Kudos. Very quaint and curious tale. Guy had an imagination.