Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Dune - 50th Edition


The underlying theme of Dune is ecology and the relationship of the desert with the spice, the spice with the sandworms, and the sandworms with the desert. Beyond all the political intrigue is the concept of a galactic economy being dependent on one very scarce resource. I had the idea of the sparse desert landscape with the moons: the classic landscape of Arrakis. I put the scene within a reverse silhouette of a giant worm to show that the desert exists because of the worm but also that the worm exists because of the desert. I hoped to create the illusion that you could not focus on one aspect of the image for too long without seeing the other. I hope this dichotomy of imagery on the cover will prepare the reader for the intriguing themes held in its pages.

 

3 comments:

Jordan said...

They really should have used this logo:

http://d3eoifnsb8kxf0.cloudfront.net/blog/lead_art/Dune_Herbert.jpg

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I have that exact edition. The four book set I have are all done in that style.

Jordan said...

Right? THAT'S the Dune logo. Nothing else, ever.