Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Damn I Loves Me The Curling Season

I know I know...and it happened in MY HOME TOWN....this is the way it was in the old days when the Curlers often had drinks and had smokes on the ice. Those were the good time when the World Champion has an enormous beer gut. So this is rare in the Curling world today. The idiot guys involved are well known so this will have repercussions and ripples and much comment. I am itching to do a post but I can wait to gather my thought because Curling is my jam. I have loved and played the game as a small child all over the world. When Canadian boys see frozen ice they pick up the hocky stick usually but I pick up a curling broom and dive onto the ice.


Jamie Koe, the skip (and brother of more successful brother Jamie Koe) despite the fact that he is in the Brier (Canadian Men's Curling Championship the most prestigeous bonspiel in Canada) most years in the past decade or more because he ALWAYS wins the qualifier to represent the North West Territories. Of course he never wins because it's easy to beat ham and egg curlers in weekly men's leagues. But Jamie thought he was hot shit and obviously his team did as well by disrespecting everything that gives them their lives. They insulted the people they were playing against, the organizers of the even, the volunteers, the workers at the Red Deer Curling Centre who for many people is important to them and don't want to see a PROFESSIONAL desecrate it in this way. If we had acted like that when we were kids watching our Parent's curl, the other curlers would remind us with an ear twist to get off the chairs and they meant it. I always curled in a kid's league anad any kid  being a brat was hauled off home. And I was good a curling so my friends respected me and I hAVE MANY trophies and other ideams for my Curling skills. I always felt safe and accepted at a curling rink. I am so upset with boys that should have known better because they have been at the toppest level of the sport and that means they owe it to others to be examples, not cautionary tales. Make this right, boys.


https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46269865?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_source=facebook&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_mchannel=social

A curling team led by an Olympic gold medallist has been kicked out of a Canadian tournament for poor behaviour and drunkenness.
 
Ryan Fry, who won gold for Canada at the 2014 Winter Olympics, and his teammates forfeited their final game at the Red Deer Curling Classic in Alberta after fans and opponents complained.

The group reportedly broke brooms and damaged locker rooms.

In a statement, Fry apologised for his behaviour.
 
He was part of the Canadian curling team that beat Great Britain's curlers in the Sochi 2014 final.
"They went out to curl and they were extremely drunk and breaking brooms and swearing," Red Deer Curling Centre facility manager Wade Thurber told Canadian broadcaster CBC.

Mr Thurber also said there was "some damage in the locker room". Fry and teammates Jamie Koe, Chris Schille, and DJ Kidby were disqualified as a result.

This is Brad Gushu. He has been in 13 prior Brier Bonspiels representing his home provence of Newfoundland 13 times before but he had come up short each and every time even thought he made the finals four times in all those years. The whole 10 day tournament came down to ONE shot and ONE rock and that is the way that all the best and most memorable curling games end. Tell me that what you see here isn't tense and that the cheering isn't real. It put a tear in my eye because I love my Curling.




3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, I saw those drunks on the news. Disgraceful behaviour for professionals.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I know. And all of them are goofs. I hope they lose sponsorships and become uninvited to things. Jaime Koe is one of those guys who moved to the NWT because he wasn't a good enough curler to compete in any other province so he always represents the NWT. All this bad press couldn't happen to a bigger dork.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Are they under the illusions that they are soccer players or football players or baseball players or hockey players?? Curlers are suppose to be better than those thugs.