Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Deadliest Catch


I am starting to feel like a ghoul for watching one of my favorite shows - 'Deadliest Catch' - knowing that Captain Phil died back in February as this season was almost finished being filmed. I also know they extensively covered the stroke that lead to his death and now I find myself just waiting for that to occur. It breaks my heart to hear him talking about how great it is to fish with his sons when you know the future. Human's shouldn't know the future.

These aren't normal reality show actors. They are real people who are doing a real fishing show who just happen to have the cameras on them. When you are that tired you can't fake emotion coming from you. That is what fascinates me about that program. Any one who doesn't believe that needs to be on the deck in high winds and 40 foot seas. That terrifies me from my couch.

I also love seeing those pots come up over the deck full of crabs. It's the same thrill I get seeing a sheep being sheered and seeing the wool come off in one piece.

8 comments:

Pat Tillett said...

I used to work with a guy who in the past had worked on a crab boat in the Bearing Sea. He used to try and describe it to me. I didn't belive it...until I saw the show several years later that is...

Was hooked from the first episode several years ago. Muy Macho Hombres!

Pat Tillett said...

Oh yeah, I love me some King Crab! I eat it until I'm sweating butter.

Jay Ferris said...

I feel the same way about watching Captain Phil unknowingly march head first into his demise. And that his son is on a different boat for most of it. Or that I make fun of people who cry at reality shows and will very likely squirt a couple for Capt Phil when that episode comes around. I'll also be at CatchCon in Seattle this weekend, and am anxious to see how they will handle it there!

David Tra said...

Hey Calvin, I'm a publicist for Discovery Channel. Could you shoot me an email when you get a chance? Thanks.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Ouch...that hurts. I take no free crab in exchange for my plug so my conscience and my heart is pure.

California Keys said...

Mike Rowe was on the radio the other day saying that crabbing is by far the most dangerous job ever....

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Statistically it is. More dangerous than being an astronaut which is relatively safe.

Nomad said...

I hate King Crab. The meat not the animal. I don't care much for crustacean meat. I have family who fishes for Lobster on the East Coast in tiny boats.
In comparison, these people are crazy. Lucrative crazy job.