Sunday, June 28, 2015

I Am Digging This Rufus Wainwight Guy







He's the real deal. I posted the song Everybody Knows by Leonard Cohen on the Facebooks and remarked that this song is a great cover song that every singer can give their own unique interpretation to. People sent me several examples of the best covers and this one was mentioned. Then I do some further research and find a ton of Wainright covers of not only Cohen's stuff but other musicians.. He's very good. Versatile and knowledgeable about music that makes him a key figure in popular music. His voice is almost another musical instrument. I am amazed at how good and respectful of the source material his covers are. I almost don't want to hear any of his original stuff. Like Michael Buble. I want to just hear him honor the work of others. So why the hell do I barely know anything about him? This is like discovering the Beatles for the first time and finding out they did more songs than just Yesterday.

5 comments:

the Trash Man said...

I saw him perform [with his sister, Martha] back in '02, when he was promoting his second album. Haven't really kept up with his career, but I've always enjoyed his earlier work.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

He's a true original, eccentric and talented, just like his mom Kate McGarrigle. Of course his dad is that jerk Loudon Wainwright III but we can't hold that against him. And we can claim him as half-Canadian!

Nathan said...

I've seen him live before, and he played for a long time. As far as his covers go, his version of "Hallelujah" might be his most famous.

Super-Duper ToyBox said...

yeah... George Michael is a better singer than both those guys by far, sorry

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Oh sure...but the wasn't there at the time.