Monday, October 26, 2009

Still The Greatest




I post this for the part about five minutes in when Ali speaks at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in 1974. Its my favorite of all his great speeches. " Only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick". One of the great documentaries of all time is "When We Were Kings" about the 'Rumble in the Jungle' - The 1974 fight in Zaire between George Foreman and Ali for the heavyweight title. It such a fantastic story that it couldn't possibly be true. Not only do you get amazing footage but you get the storytelling genius of Norman Mailer and George Plimpton giving their recollections on that moment in sports history. You can see the entire film on 'You Tube' and its a shame if you miss it.

No comments: