Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Harley Quinn Gets Scratch 'n Sniff Comic Book

I loved these scratch and sniff stickers as a kid. I also liked the markers that smelled like fruit flavor. I can't imagine a comic book with smells but I am willing to try it out, especially if my beloved Harley Quinn is involved.

 
The Harley Quinn Annual #1 comic book, on sale October 29, will be a "scratch 'n sniff" comic with scents of leather, suntan lotion, and pizza, plus one unnamed scent of a "mysterious compound." Those smells will be in the U.S. edition; a second variant edition that will be available in all territories features the same smells with the exception of the mysterious compound, which will be replaced with fresh-cut grass.
 
Due to legal reasons, DC Comics is promoting this as a "Rub-and-Smell" comic instead of "scratch 'n sniff," but whatever you call it, it's hard to remember the last time a major publisher did an old school gimmick like this. With Harley Quinn becoming more comedic and self-aware than ever thanks to writers Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti, her series seems prime for such comic book hijinks.

The comic will feature four different covers -- a regular cover and Bombshell variant for the U.S. edition (pictured below), and then an international variant cover. It will be completed by a team of artists including John Timms, Paul Mounts, Stjepan Sejic, Joe Quinones, Ben Caldwell, Rico Renzi, Kelley Jones, and Michelle Madsen.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/09/23/harley-quinn-gets-scratch-n-sniff-comic-book

2 comments:

Mike D. said...

I know it's probably just me... But I don't care for the new Harley Quinn. I prefer the old Mummer style jester costume. Black and red. Simple but effective. Just thought i'd share that

Debra She Who Seeks said...

"Scratch 'n sniff" sounds like fun! "Rub 'n smell" sounds dirty. IDK, maybe that's just me?