Sunday, November 4, 2018

Bohemian Rhapsody

 

 

It a strange feeling to watch a film about a subject you know so intimately. Queen was my favorite music as a teenager. I was drawn to their sophistication and orchestration and of course I was dazzled by the voice and sheer power of Freddy Mercury. I lived during these times and watched that Live Aid concert in it's entirety. A lot of good memories.

In the hands of Ryan Malik I believed every single second of this highlight reel. Watching all four of these guys create in a studio is movie making magic. Three intellectuals and a genius design student went onto be the greatest musical act of all time. Their discography alone is my argument. You hear the first few notes of a Queen song and you know which on it is. The movie does a great job at showing the process of creation and how difficult that can always be.
 
"I have four extra teeth in my mouth. Increases my range."

 
 
Any autobiographical movie where two of the original members are heavily involved in it's production is going to be sanitized but it doesn't need to be. We all know how Freddy contracted AIDS but did not wish to become it's poster boy at a time when his full admission would have done much good. It's a complicated issue that you only understand if you lived at that time and you lived and breathed Queen. He died with class and grace and became immortal. No movie can live up to that and this rock bio is by the number, sure, but it will give anyone who doesn't GET Queen an understanding of why these guys were the real deal to those who love them like me and why you should love Freddy Mercury as much as I do.



 
It was joyous and Malik is the reason for that. He became Freddy Mercury and there are some ways that he looks or sounds where I can't tell the real from the made-up. Freddy had a sad complicated life and a lonely one, something that Malek embodies. He brings a tear to my eye and a lump in my throat many times in a transfixing Oscar worthy performance. Now I want him to be nominated and win the award even though that may cost someone from Black Panther the statuette.


The cast is uniformly excellent here with Mike Meyers being a standout as a hinky music company official. It's nice to see him in this after Wayne's World made the song popular years after it might have slipped away from pop culture.

The film leads up to the performance at Live Aid. I watched the original coverage on You Tube the other night and what is up on screen is both mimickry and homage of the highest order.

As a long time fan of this group and all they meant to my life I was very happy with this biopic. I found it respective and at times inspired. I am glad I chose well when I chose my favorite group. This just validates me as a genius all along as well.
 

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I can hardly wait to see it once I get home!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I think you will enjoy it. It's no sorrid or disrespectful that it could have been and it as triumphant and I hoped. Ryan Malik is amazing as Freddy.

JBond said...

I didn't care for it much. Most of what was presented, save the Live Aid Concert portion, seemed really contrived. I struggled to decide what this film was actually about. It's titled 'Bohemian Rhapsody' but, wasn't an overly thorough assessment of how the song came to be. Some say it a biopic focusing on Freddy Mercury but, neglects a lot of what his lifestyle really was in order to keep his legend Intact, I suppose. Some say it's a biopic of the entire band but, i learned absolutely nothing about the rest of the band besides their field of study prior to becoming the biggest band in the world. At best this was a story gearing up to their Live Aid concert stint where, for a few moments, everyone brought their A game...everything was perfect. I find myself wishing Sasha Baron Cohen's Freddy Mercury biopic would have seen the light of day...had the rest of the band not been more interested in sugar-coating things and making their story glossy enough for a new generation to take the baton down the road a little further than it was already being brought.

Rahmi Malek does, however, deserves an Oscar nom for his portrayal of Mercury with the script he was provided. He should have been given a meatier one, though.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Like I said on my soon to be award winning Podcast, When he sings the words to the song Bohemian Rhapsody and you realize he is singing about his life. He was telling us all about him in one song and he predicted his death and professed his extreme lonliness in that songs. I got more from the film I guess. For a big time fan of everyone in the band and the music it could only have let me down but I loved it. I was very happy that I like it as much as I did.

Agreed about Malik. He get's the Nom and I hope the Oscar. I have to see his competition first.