Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Day The Music Died


I was looking around for music and came across a torrent for the top 40 songs this week in the UK. Out of 40 songs I didn't know a single one or even worse a single artist or group. I knew I was out of touch but that is ridiculous. I didn't even bother with the US top 40 for fear I would not recognize anything there either.

I remember a time when I knew all the words, all the songs, all the singers and all the groups. Ask me anything musically from the 80s to 2000 and I will get it everytime. Its true that people get stuck in an era and never go forward again. I have officially become the target audience for the Golden Oldies radio on the AM dial. Pretty hard to mock those stations when I like most of what they are playing. I am afraid that I have been left behind. I am one step away from having the members of my tribe deposit me on an chunk of ice and just push it away from the shore (like they did with Granpa Nuktanuk just last year).

For those of you who get joy out of this revelation you would do well to be kind. One day you will be me having the exact same crisis. When a smart mouth punk makes fun of you I will be rocking in my rocker, eating my Yankee Bean soup and laughing my ass off at you. Lousy punks!

8 comments:

ade said...

If it's any consolation Calvin, I am a UK resident and I haven't got a clue what's in the UK top 40 this week (or indeed any week since about 2001) and I couldn't even tell you who was #1.
.
Oh for the days of Top of The Pops on a Thursday night and that all-important chart run-down...

Wings1295 said...

I was just saying the same thing to my wife the other day when we saw a list of "hits". I was so confused!!!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

It all has passed us by. I never thought I would be one of those guys who would say, "Back in my day...." but I am. Sadly I am.

Wings1295 said...

Right there with ya, buddy.

FilmFather said...

Every time I see a weekly top 40 these days, I just shout to nobody in particular, "Where are all the GUITARS, man?"

Seems like 3/4 of the "hits" have zero musical instruments involved, let alone someone who can actually belt out some lyrics.

These days, I'd be thrilled if I could actually say, "These kids today with their rock and roll" - cuz that would imply there WAS some r-n-r to talk about.

Why do I feel the waist of my pants creeping up my body as I type this...?

Artman2112 said...

you better check behind you as well to make sure your buttocks hasnt disappeared as is usually the case when one suddenly becomes an "old" man ;)
but seriously, i havent a clue about new music either and what little of it i may happen to hear i cant stand anyway. the last CD's i got were the newest Rush and newest Metallica but those guys have all been around for decades. i heard Steve Morse has a new Cd coming out too but once again he's been around since the 70's. seems it's the old timers who are doing all the ass kicking these days. I thought Zeps reunion concert was really awesome, especially Jimmy Page, man he hasnt lost it at all!
and lest we forget Overkill is still out there kicking serious metal ass too ;)
the guitars are still out there just gotta do a bit of looking to find 'em!

Rod Barnett said...

Don't worry man. I gave up on 'popular' music back in the 90s. A couple of years running a college radio station made me aggressively go my own way. I now seek out new music on my own. I'm much happier finding good stuff and usually laugh when I happen to hear some pablum on a radio someplace. Viva the MP3 player!

Anonymous said...

you dont have to be old to be in that boat...