Saturday, October 28, 2017

The Orville Episode 7 - Majority Rule

 
"How are you doing all this."
"Babe, Spaceship?"

The latest episode of The Orville was a genius piece of satire about the dangers of social media. In the world the ship visits everyone wears a badge with UP and DOWN buttons that build UP and DOWN votes. These votes determine your life. If you have more than 500,000  DOWN votes you can't even get tea in a café. People who do the worst things and get more than 10,000,000 DOWN votes get's  'corrected'. It's quite brilliant actually. South Park level brilliance. I won't spoil it for you but the way the 'problem' spins out of control kept me fixated. Just let me say - always tell the truth if you need some help. After dry humping the statue of an important pioneer woman, LaMarr is put on trial by court of public opinion and must try to earn enough UP votes not to receive harsh social punishment.


The very last scene was the caper on a episode that shows the potential of this show. There is a comedy element but the stories are sophisticated hard core science fiction. The idea that everyone votes on every issue is dangerous and in this case the MOB is the problem. But wouldn't it be cool if we could get the Idiot Trump 'corrected'. Him and ALL his buddies. That would be SWEET to see. Must See TV.


This one got my brain to go in a totally different direction and that is pretty great around here.

This show is terrific despite what the critics say. In the world we live in there should be a way to measure how many people watch TV on their computers. They don't get counted. I know there have to be many people that love this show as I do. Critics don't know shit and if I had those badges the show would get an UP Vote and the TV Hating Mutants would get my biggest DOWN vote.

I also have to say that the young girl playing the waitress who is our conduit to what is going happening on this planet much like our own is very appealing. I need to find her name because I see big things happening in this kid's future.

"I will personally order him not to hump things - Mercer"
 

4 comments:

Jordan said...

Didn't Black Mirror already do this?

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

That's funny. Everyone keeps telling me that every episode of the Orville comes from a story someone else has already written. Is it honest theft of just parallel thought? Are both versions that close because I don't know the source material.

Jordan said...

I have no idea about that. (And, I have no opinion one way or another on The Orville; I've never seen it.) I'm just busy hyping Black Mirror because it's one of the best things I've ever seen and I think all cool/smart people like yourself will agree.

(And, by the way, Cal...Stranger Things 2. Oh my God! I know you're pacing yourself, but, still.)

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I will give it a try once I clean up some other programs that I have only a few episodes to watch. I always like when I find something new to love. Do you watch the Expanse because you should.