Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Cal's 'Lost' Marathon Analysis - Part 4


(Currently - On Season 2 - Episode 19)

Oh 'Lost'. How you have a way of making me happy and sad all at the same time. The reunion of Rose and Bernard and Jin and Sun was very sweet but of course had to come alongside ANOTHER body for the grave. I am enjoying the backstories very much and the deeper we get into the seasons the more it seems like landing on the island was a more of a blessing than a curse for these characters. This is especially true with Kate.

I enjoyed watching Hurley giving away the food from the bunker. It helped seal those parts of his life that were ripped open when he won the lottery in the first place. Maybe the curse of the numbers is finally lifted.

Why didn't the smoke monster take Mr. Ekko with him? Is it because he is on a path of redemption and the island rewards the effort it takes a man to change his ways. He is my new favorite character. This means I will lose him right? I hate this show as much as I love it.

Can't Charlie find some forgiveness? Claire is such a bitch.

I will admit that all the stuff with Hurley's mental institution stay and the fact that everything going on is just in his own head is a mind trip especially when we see that Libby was in the institute with him. WTF? Nice try writers of lost but I am onto you.

Despite all the crazy moments and bizarre stuff going on this show is really only about these people seeking redemption and getting a second chance. Everyone has something bad that happened to them that WAS NOT THEIR FAULT. They are on the island to realize this before they can 'move on'

I find myself pushing all the loopy stuff out of my head and just focusing on the individual stories. No way they are alive on a 'regular island'. Too many 'deus ex machina' moments - too many coincidences - to many references to god and faith. So all the stuff about evil numbers and 'others' and the Dharma project are all just filler...distractions that mean nothing in the end.

The genius of this show is that at the end we just won't care that not all the questions have been answered. At the end we will be just where we began - with the same questions everyone has about life and why the universe works the way it does only now we won't let the search for answers get in the way of just living and loving those closest to us.

2 comments:

Chase March said...

Hi Calvin,

I've been enjoying your analysis. I've read some pretty crazy theories online and they are starting to piss me off. Yours on the other hand are pretty logical and plausible.

I am hoping that we will get some answers at the end of the show this season. However, you may just have something there and if they show lets me down, I'll need to remember your take on all of it.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

You don't know how much I appreciate what you just wrote. You don't know how hard it is to avoid all mention of the show in magazines, or online. I went in pure New Year's day and watch about 4 episodes a day or so. All the guessing along the way and dealing with everyone else's theories would have driven me nuts. I am constantly amazed at how good this show is and I hope that the hype for some spectacular ending doesn't ruin the end for everyone. I have been there with the 'Soprano' and 'X-Files' and am hoping for an ending more like the 'Wire' or 'Deep Space 9' where things just went on as usual - just another day