Thursday, November 25, 2010

Serenity


Well the dream is over - I needed me some Firefly tonight so I burned through my last two episodes and had to watch the movie to get it all through my system in one cold winter night.

What will be my next 'go-to' program when the cave is lonely and I can only hear the echo of my own voice.? I will let you know when I know.


First of all is there anything more beautiful and graceful than watching Summer Glau/River Tam is full combat mode? It is like a delicious dance of death.


It was nice to see a foil for Mal in The Operative. He is the reasoned man where Mal is the wild child - he plans while Mal flies by the seat of his pants. Doing what works best for him and being unpredictable is the only thing that will save Mal and the crew - they got to get down and scruffy if they are going to pull this one out.

I know Mal will come out on top because a guy like the Operator can't conceive of someone who doesn't fit neatly into a box. The crew of the Serenity defies classification. The show that by how they are forced to defile their ship in order to make it through Reaver space.


I was happy that this movie was made to answer the questions and give the fans the closure that they required. I know I was left wanting more and that is the makings of a truly great science fiction series. Call me a convert to the Church of the Firefly. I will preach my truth to all who will listen to me. I loved this show.

6 comments:

Margaret Benbow said...

I love that movie. And for me it's an ecstatic moment to see River come back alive and shredding the Reavers--because there's that previous scene where we think she's dead for sure (sacrificial lamb)...

M. D. Jackson said...

I love the show and I love the movie but I just can't watch it without dreading seeing Wash's final moments. It kills me inside every time.

If you;re looking for another show to sink your teeth into try FARSCAPE. Four seasons of craziness that got cancelled too soon, but they wrapped it all up in a four hour mini series. Worth investing the time to watch if you haven't seen it already.

Kelly Sedinger said...

The final scene of SERENITY is just wonderful. God, I wish I could know what adventures came afterwards -- Wash's death was stunning, but River's arc is SO satisfying, from untrusted lunatic to Mal's new pilot in the end. I get that there will probably never be any more Firefly movies or teevee shows -- but why can't there at least be novels? Why must it be limited to a comic book or two, every other year!

csmith2884 said...

"Call me a convert to the Church of the Firefly. I will preach my truth to all who will listen to me. I loved this show."

Welcome brother Kal, we sure have been saving a seat in the pew for sometime.

Okko said...

I tried watching serenity several times and every time i fell asleep 2/3rds into the movie..idk why that movie is really exciting....

Kal said...

I have been thinking about 'farscape'. I watched the first couple seasons and remember liking it.

How could anyone fall asleep during that space battle in 'Serenity'? It was so cool to see the ship come out of the nebula followed by all those Reaver ships and the Operative realize that for all his smarts he was well and truly fucked.