Monday, August 6, 2018

The Greatest Superhero Comic Book Story Of Them All


Kingdom Come by Mark Waid and Alex Ross. It's a must read for everyone who is literate. Well there are pretty picture for those who are illiterate so now no one has an excuse not to seek this one out. I would lie to you about many things but not this. Oh all the thousands and thousands of super hero stories that I have read, this one is the greatest.story of them all. The photorealistic art by Alex Ross is beyone gorgeous and the story has all the drama and emotion you would ever want. Trust me. It will change your life. Because of the insane number of characters it may be impossible to make as a live action film but an ANIMATED feature should be in the DC pipeline. Their animated division had released one huge hit after another (with the exception of The Killing Joke which was garbage).

 
 
Kingdom Come is a four-issue Elseworlds story written by Mark Waid and Alex Ross, with artwork by Alex Ross. It is set in the year 2020 where Superman and his generation of heroes from the Justice League days have been succeeded by a new generation of heroes whose ideals are more nihilistic, caring less about the people they're supposed to protect and more about their own egos, and are found even clashing with each other as much as they do with the villains. It is when a major disaster happens when Superman decides to rein in the new generation of heroes in the hopes that they would reform and adopt his generation's ideals of what being a superhero is about.
 

 
 
 
I also really enjoyed this audio book that uses voice actors and sound effects to really put you into the story. On a long drive that is GOLDEN.
 
 

6 comments:

Christopher said...

My favorite of all time. I was fortunate to tell Alex Ross in person. It brought me back into the fold after years of not collecting/reading. What a monumental book. I know Dark Knight and Watchmen have their fans, but this, to me, is the greatest comic of all time.

Dr. Theda said...

met Mark Waid... nice man... good-natured person...

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I agree Christopher. I can find fault with both Dark Knight and Watchmen but not Kingdom Come. The little touches are awesome too. Superman only smiles ONCE and Batman smiles all the time. A total reversal of their usual resting faces. And you NEED the final pages that came later where we see 1000 years into the future when the Legion of Superheroes leave the Earth. Damn, I need to read that again.

Barbecue17 said...

Just read this book again a month or so ago. Immediately afterwards I read the collected "The Kingdom" for the first time. It was actually pretty good, too. Alex Ross wasn't involved so the aesthetic is completely different, but it feels like a solid, although scattered at times, addition to Waid's story.

j-swin said...

Epic.

Chase March said...

Hi Calvin,

I have read it and it is great. I also love audiobooks so I have to add this to my listen list now. Thanks!