Monday, July 20, 2009

40th Anniversary of Moon Landing


I was only four but I have a memory of sitting with my father watching the moment of the Eagle's landing on the moon. He left for peacekeeping duties in Cyprus soon after. I know that some feel that they faked the landing but I don't believe that conspiracy stuff. Was glad to see 'Mythbusters' take on the worst of them and totally debunk those who don't believe. I have some melancholy over the fact that Neil Armstrong has spent the last 40 years avoiding any interviews about what is arguably our greatest moment as a species. That is unfair to the world and to history. Sure he is an intensely private man I know but after all this time he needs to just suck it up and share his memories and impressions before he dies. Sure we get Buzz Aldrin's words but he is only half the story. Neil landed the ship, and Neil was first off the ladder. He may not give a shit about his legacy but he doesn't get to make that choice anymore in my opinion. The story of man's journey into space is one of my favourite things and is something that we all can be proud of. The potential for our greatness is never more evident than it was when Armstrong set foot on the moon. Hopefully someone close to him like his wife will set him straight. He won't live forever but maybe some kind of memoir will be released after he dies. The loss to human history without his story would be significant.

1 comment:

Video Zeta One said...

Couldn't agree more. Spit it out, Neil!