Friday, November 12, 2010

New Muppet Movie


I was reading my 'Entertainment Weekly' magazine and say this photo announcing the new Muppet Movie that should be out by next summer. I am very excited by this. If the world needs ANYTHING right now it's more Muppets.

I scanned the picture for my favorite Muppet. Sure everyone like the greats like Kermit or Animal but for me, it's always been about Sam the Eagle.

He always seemed the most out of place of all the characters. Of course that is deliberate. He is the stuffy, 'by the rules', condescending conservative intellectual that is above all the shenanigans going on around him.

He suffers from terrible ennui created by the chaotic environment around him with characters he can neither anticipate or control. It's such delicious angst.

He covers his irritations with smugness and an overinflated belief in his own importance and value.

However, despite his words and actions on the outside, I imagine that inside he wants to do nothing more than cut loose, tell a fart joke or throw a pie in someone's face. But since that is not the way they 'do' humor at Princeton or Oxford or whatever snooty Ivy League eagle college he went to, he is stuck.

I imagine him having a strict upbringing in a house without laughter. His parents were all about 'appearances' and the young eagle incorporated that message into his very soul.

He of course can always leave the rest of the Muppets but he feels like he just may get them to see the light if he sticks around. He is delusional of course. If anything, one day they may change him. He both fears that and hopes for it all at the same time.

Did I get it right?

4 comments:

Sam G said...

I think you nailed it. My favorite Muppets were the band. Stoned Muppets.

Kal said...

I had a 'thing' for Janice and I know a girl who is like the live version of her - hippy band chick.

Wings1295 said...

Seems like you nailed him. Or his character. Wow, that came out wrong.

My favorite has always been Beaker. Poor Beaker.

Kal said...

Beaker's problem was he can't express his frustration and stand up to Dr. Honeydew. Have some balls and just say "No, I will NOT test that new robot for you because it will crush my head in it's powerful claws." Hell if he can't say it, get it printed on a card and give it to the good Dr each time he endangers your life Beaker.