Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Last Polka (Part 1)

Back at the end of the brilliant run of SCTV John Candy and Eugene Levy made this mockumentary about Polka superstars Josh and Stan Shmenge. If you like part one you can follow the link to the rest of the film on You Tube.

I think it's one of the funniest things I have ever seen and shows that a small sketch or character from a SNL like comedy show CAN be made into a funny feature if you have people who believe in the premise as strong as these two did. Canada is a funny place people. When you bitches gonna realize that?

This film has a family connection - when my Baba was in her 80s she watched this with me and my sister one day and could not be convinced it wasn't a fake film or even that it was a comedy. She just loved these two 'nice' boys.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

man, i MISS john candy. that whole group was unbelievable

o'hara, levy, short, candy, martin, moranis, thomas and on and on and on. i LOVED sctv.

i never knew this existed. thanks so much for posting it. it made my week

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Have you watched the whole thing? In my circle of friends when we see or hear about someone doing remarkable things we always come back to the same comeback.

"Do you know of the Amazing Rollo? He could play the Gelkies AND do the Cosack dance at the same time."

Then you answer - "He was very popular."

I love that one too.

Unknown said...

i watched some last night, now i'll watch the rest. it's AMAZING. of course i saw some of the sketches. i LOVED the happy wanderers.

it's especially pertinent to me. someday i'll tell you why