Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Wish For Wings That Work

This is one of my favorite Christmas cartoons that hardly ever gets played. If you were a fan of the newspaper strip 'Bloom County' then you know who Opus the Penguin and Bill the Cat are. The voice for Opus is perfect and Bill is his hilarious drug addled self. If this doesn't get you in the spirit then nothing will. The part where Santa and Opus mirror each others movements with their arms out stretched gets to me like when the Grinch's heart grows three sizes.





3 comments:

Wings1295 said...

I remember that one. It doesn't get the annual play all the other specials do.

Matt said...

I'm a HUGE "Bloom County" fan so this one is required viewing for my sons. We actually got the DVD at, like, the dollar store or something a few years ago.

FilmFather said...

As a Bloom County fan in the '80s, I was very excited when this special debuted on TV back in '91(?). While it wasn't the knee-slapper I had anticipated, it still holds a special spot in my heart.

The part that gets to me is near the end, when the birds pick up Opus and make him "fly," and when he asks where they got the idea, they point down to Bill on the ground below. Aw, what a pal, what a pal!