Saturday, April 23, 2011

Now That Is Some Deep Shit Brother Chopra


“My body and the Universe come from the same source, obey the same rhythms, flash with the same storms of electromagnetic activity. My body can’t afford to argue over who created the Universe. Every cell would disappear the second it stopped creating itself. So it must be that the Universe is living and breathing through me. I am an expression of everything in existence.”

“At this moment, you are seamlessly flowing with the cosmos. There is no difference between your breathing and the breathing of the rain forest, between your bloodstream and the world’s rivers, between your bones and the cliffs of Dover. Every shift in ecosystem has affected you at the level of your genes. The Universe remembers its evolution by leaving a record written in DNA. This means that your genes are the focal point for everything happening in the world. They are your line of communication with nature as a whole. The Universe thinks and works through you.”


- Deepak Chopra

If someone would have told me this when I was high it would have just blown my mind, man. Usually I find his philosophies to be a little too 'new age' for me but this really resonates.

I like the idea that all livings thing are connected to each other even at a microscopic level. This is as close as I ever get to any kind of religious belief. It's logical. I can see the result of these connections everyday all around me.

This theory explains 'free will' and how we are our own gods - each one of us individually. There is no ONE being controlling our destinies. We have the power to do that for ourselves.

We don't need to abandon reason because of our reliance on the teachings of some holy book. In fact, we have a duty to reject many of the so called 'lessons for living' these books support because they are racist, sexist, homophobic or divisive. Those ideas just get in the way of our progress as a species.

6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Compared to a mystic understanding, all the holy books just seem so crude and simplistic.

Kal said...

Maybe that is why most educated people refuse to believe that these books are to be taken literally or that they are the 'actual' word of god. Telling someone that they should hate someone because the Bible tells them so is the height of ignorance to me.

Unknown said...

Cal, I really like this quote too. It goes back to the force and the Jedi way.

Tom said...

Very deep quote, I like the idea too.

Great comments.

Megan said...

Education is the key. It always has been. And it's pretty scary how it seems to be taking huge steps backward here lately...

Kal said...

Stupidity is almost like a badge of honor to some. It's easy to control people if they don't have critical thinking skills.