Friday, April 29, 2011

A-Z Blogging Challenge - The Letter Y - Yummy Noms


I am happy to say that with a combination of exercise, medication and diet that I have really gotten my blood sugar levels under control. A happy side effect of originally being diagnosed in December with Type 2 Diabetes is that now I feel better than I have in years. I have more energy to put towards swimming (my new favorite activity) and I can actually get to sleep most nights.


Diabetes runs in my family so I have been taking blood tests for the past 2 years so that once I was diagnosed, I could get an early start attacking the disease's side effects. I am terrified to lose a foot due to poor circulation or letting the complications associated with diabetes result in blindness, which for me is the worse thing I can ever imagine happening.


I don't fool myself by saying that I can cut the 'bad' foods out of my diet because that is not realistic. Like everything else I ingest, moderation seems to be the key to my health successes.


I think I needed the diagnosis to motivate me to change my self destructing habits and to make those changes a permanent part of my life. To see positive results is very satisfying and encouraging. When I put my full effort and focus towards solving a problem or creating something new (like my blog) I rarely if ever experience failure. I think that effort deserves a reward so I am off to Tim Horton's for a box of twenty 'Timbits'.

7 comments:

M. D. Jackson said...

Well done, Cal!

baygirl32 said...

OMG, this post is making my mouth water!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Good for you, Cal. You're an inspiration!

Kal said...

I know I am an inspiration, you know I am an inspiration but when does that pay off for me in jelly donuts and Ukrainian mail order brides. Just another example of the MAN keeping a brother down.

Tempo said...

Oh Kal, you're just teasing yourself mate. Maybe if you put up pics of carrot rings and other (yummy) veggies....Nah!

Kal said...

If I am going to cheat I might as well make it worth my while.

Sarah said...

Hooray for you!

And yay! Rainbow ice cream. My fav!