Friday, April 22, 2011

A-Z Blogging Challenge - The Letter T - Tumblr







I am addicted to Tumblr. It's a site that allows people to post images or express opinions. By following particular people, you have access to everything they like or think. You can choose to add their images to your collection or answer questions others have asked. It's a way to connect with people who shares the same interests that you do.

Some Tumblr blogs have only one theme such as Pokemon, Disney, Selena Gomez (I follow a number of those Selena ones) comic book covers, cartoons, naked women, sex, steampunk, or celebrities. Others are more eclectic or are vanity driven.

My blog covers all the things I enjoy. It's a paired down version of my larger 'Cave of Cool' blogspot. I post all my cat captions there first and love watching how these are quikly picked up and added to other people's Tumblr pages. It's just as big a thrill as when someone quotes something I have written and post it on their blog.

I use Tumblr to collect images I know I will on day like to post on my blog. I also find inspiration for features or individual post that I may not have thought about before. My redhead posts are a direct result of my Tumblr explorations of Tumblr pages that are exclusively dedicated to redheads.

I would be interested in learning how others use Tumble. Share your stories in the comment section. If you have stopped using Tumblr after starting your own page, I would be interested in hearing your reasons for that too.









10 comments:

Unknown said...

I got on tumblr because of you and couldn't really figure it out. I will work on it this weekend.

Kal said...

I think tomorrow I should post a little tutorial to help people see if they would like to have a tumblr page. It may not be something for you and certainly I resisted the urge to have one for a long time. Once I took the leap I found it to be a cool thing. I can spent hours easily scrolling through the images on my dashboard. My favorite part is when I see a kitty picture and I immediately know the caption that should go with it. A lot of art and design images are highlighted as well. Those are relevant to my interests as well.

TS Hendrik said...

I love tumblr but I spend so much time on TNR that I don't often have time for my tumblr. But I do love seeing all the different things people post. I've also found some really cool artists through it.

Kal said...

That is the way that I would describe it too - variety.

Unknown said...

Kal, I am looking forward to it. I enjoy perusing. And have figured out how to reblog. But that is where my knowledge stops.

Kal said...

Once you have you own page, you peruse, reblog and add followers as you go. Each follow gives you access to more and more images. If people like your stuff they can choose to follow what you do. You can ask questions of others or reply to their questions. All followers have an archive of images that you can acess and reblog yourself. I am sure I am not making it very clear. We should talk on instant messenger as you start your page.

Kelly Sedinger said...

I have one, but I strongly suspect myself of doing it wrong. Hmmmm.

Chase March said...

I originally went on Tumblr because I liked some of the stuff that you and Alexis were posting. I wanted to use some of those images as journal prompts for my students. I copied several images and put them up on the SmartBoard in my classroom before I started my own Tumblr.

My Tumblr has become a scrap book of images I like, most of them don't make good journal topics.

I really like the skateboard pics. You used to have to buy a magazine to get quality stuff like that. Now it's free. Love it!

Drake said...

I live and breathe eclectic on tumblr and feel compelled to re-blog all things banana.

Dude i had that James Bond Attache case as a kid, it was cool.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Well, I'm kinda new to tumblr so I'm still trying to figure out how to use it to its strengths.

As an artist I started an account to post my artwork so that it could past along from person to person without having to do any actual work from my end.

I also try and dig up artwork of my idols, knowing that I can find others who are passionate about them and many have posted rare or hard to find material that has been since added to my growing collection of inspiration illustrations. If I had the time I'd do some reposting and talk about why I like what I do.

Instead heres a blatant link to my own tumblr feed:
http://erikjohnsonillustrator.tumblr.com/