Thursday, April 28, 2011

A-Z Blogging Challenge - The Letter X - X-Men






What else could the letter X stand for when you are an old time comic geek like me? The Children of the Atom...mutants...bound together in a world that hates and fears them. Even back in the mid-sixties, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby were savvy enough to realize there were real world prejudices that could be mined for comic book stories.

Suddenly your black neighbor is not such a threat when there are people out there who can destroy buildings with a look or read your mind. How would the ordinary world react against a villain whose experiences in the Holocaust (Magneto) made him the most dangerous terrorist on the planet? If you knew he was obsessed with never experiencing the same kind of genocide again, would you be with him or against him?

Believe it or not there was a time when the X-men was a reprint book on the verge of cancellation until a little Canadian mutant (and several others) named Wolverine joined the team in the late 70s. There has been no stopping the title ever since. There are no fewer than ten titles currently printed a month that contain mutant characters. The X-Men aren't going away anytime soon.




8 comments:

Budd said...

I remember my then 5 year old youngest looking at me one day and saying that she wanted to be a mutant when she grew up. Proud father moment, that one.

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Love ya back. They are pretty cool, so I've learned in the past 24 hours. Phew.
xoRobyn

Super-Duper ToyBox said...

Those are Great! The top 2 are my favorites- I love the original X-Men charaterizations-

Kal said...

I had hopes that the 'First Class' movie would just be about the original five. But I have to admit that watching Magneto pull a submarine out of the water is pretty cool.

Karen M. Peterson said...

I LOVE The X-Men. They are some of the super coolest heroes around. Some of the coolest villains too.

Kal said...

You have good taste Karen. The greatness of a hero always is related to the greatness of the villain.

M. D. Jackson said...

I used to collect all the X-titles at one time. I don't think it's possible to do that any more. Not unless you're Donald Trump.

Kal said...

Trump ain't got no money. That goober is leveraged or leased to the hilt. I hear his pockets are full of ketchup packets.