Monday, April 25, 2011

Tomar-Re


I found this poster over at Electronic Cerebrectomy. I am so happy to know that since he is the focus of his own poster, Tomar-Re will be getting some major screen time in the upcoming 'Green Lantern' movie. He has always been one of my favorite Lanterns since he was added to the title's huge cast of characters in 'Green Lantern' #6.


Over the years this Lantern has become an essential mainstay of the Corp. He is wisdom and courage and understanding combined. Tomar-Re is the conscience of the Green Lantern Corp. He takes his duty as a Green Lantern very seriously and is tireless in his efforts to train new recruits in the physical (and more importantly) ethical use of their new found powers. He reminds me of Obi Wan Kenobi in the original 'Star Wars' movie.


The decision to have Geoffry Rush be the on-screen voice of the character is simply genius in my opinion. Rush always brings class and gravitas to any role he takes and this character promises not to be any different.


It's little touches like this that give me hope that the filmmakers are serious about getting the story, character and settings just right. There is more than 50 years of history behind this title and the ladder to success is steeply uphill. So much can go wrong in any adaptation of the 'Green Lantern' universe. Watch the clip that I posted a few days ago and you will realize that all our fears have been for naught. Like Spider-Man and Iron Man, this will be another great superhero film.


Special Note - Tomar-Re patrolled the sector of space that Krypton (Superman's home planet) was in. He tried to stabilize Krypton's core in the days before it's destruction. Despite his best efforts, however, he was unable to keep that world from exploding.

3 comments:

Pat Tillett said...

Nice post and info!
I used to love the early GL stuff.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I was never into Green Lantern when I was a kid but I'm looking forward to the movie. It's all due to your influence, Cal!

Kal said...

I guess the Universe is unfolding as it should be Debra.