Sunday, September 26, 2010

250 Followers - The Perspective



Now we all know that the minute I publish this post that I will lose three or four followers and be back below this marker again. It's the way things go. I will bitch for a bit then let it go because after you reach certain milestones you really start to realize that while sharing your brilliant stuff with the entire planet is the goal, its the people who comment regular and who you have formed strong bonds with that are the most important followers that you have.

Everyone else doesn't really exist because you never hear what they think of your posts and they give me no chance to get into the great stuff they may be doing. After two years I can accept that reality. I appreciate everyone who follows but I appreciate the people who have made themselves real to me a whole lot more.

I currently have 188 followers on Tumblr but I have seen from others that keeping those followers is more precarious than keeping followers on Blogger. Post a loose boob or the wrong flavor pie and POOF, they are gone. For this reason I don't let the Tumblr ones get to me at all. They are fickle. If they want to go, then go.

I just go to the archive of anyone who takes an image from me or likes an image that I post to see what they have that I may want to add to my collection. Those 188 represent the depth of my master archive that I can choose from. The more people I accumulate, the larger that master archive gets.

It's also really hard to connect with people in any meaningful way on Tumblr. No one wants to be friends with anyone else. It's the anti-facebook. I suspect I have lost people on Tumblr just because I let them know that I was enjoying their archive. I wish it didn't have to be that way because finding someone that liked the same images that you do would be the basis of a great friendship. At least I have a few blogger followers and regular comment makers that also have Tumblrs I enjoy. I need more of that cross pollination in my life.

11 comments:

Sam G said...

My tumblr blog is just a a shadow of my Google blog. But I absolutely love both of your blogs. Wonderful images and insights.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Thanks. It's really addicting doing both now that I have found the rhythm. I love finding cool images like those Susan Coffey pictures.

TS Hendrik said...

250? What's it like on the other side? Are things shinier? Don't forget us little guys still under 200.

Kal said...

The air is more rarified, the sun shines a little brighter and my shit don't stink. It's true. It's always better on the other side. But you have a nice little thing working for you. Your followers love you. Mine just fear me and like Lindsey are waiting for the moment I totally loose it. You are the real deal. I am just the train wreck that everyone slows down for.

Kal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Simon B said...

.....but such a cool train wreck!!

:-)

Drake said...

I've never cracked 40 on followers on blogger and it seems i won't, my blogs are close to perishing. But i'm grateful to blogger for meeting great folks like you Cal and others.
Thank the Great Yellow Banana for Tumblr!

Megan said...

I still haven't been over to your tumblr. Should probably check it out. But I don't have time to read everyone's blog as it is...

Kal said...

It's okay Megan, its just Selena, Kitties, Superheroes, Cool Designs, Masks, Cool Monuments, Ancient History, Digitally Manipulated Photography, Beautiful Sites Around The World, Greasy Foods, Funny Cartoons ect...

Kal said...

You already have a pretty good idea of the way I roll. Nothing to surprise you anymore.

Nathan said...

I'll never get the people who follow and unfollow at the drop of a hat. I usually don't start following someone until they've made a few posts I like, and only unfollow in extreme circumstances. If someone posts a nekkid breast, I'll just make sure not to read that particular blog in public, not drop it entirely.

I wish more people would leave me comments on Tumblr. I do get reblogs, though, and I guess that's something.