Sunday, September 26, 2010

TV Times - Part 2


Hawaii Five-O - I really liked this update of the classic 70s cop drama. The action moves fast and the cast is really terrific. The writers took minimal time to explain the situation and the introduction of the 'team' felt organic and realistic. They got right to the action and delayed showing me few if any 'quirks' these main characters are no doubt come to have. It's only the first episode but already you can see how the relationships are working and I love the local flavor of the island that has it's own rules and cultural quicks.

You know me and my fondness for local colloquialism and slang. Now I have this and 'Dog, the Bounty Hunter' to perfect my Hawaiian language training.


And Grace Park never seem to change. They must freeze her to preserve her beauty between shows. That is just a collection of perfect genetics and is why you need not stress so much if you don't have a look or body like hers. We always have our DNA making it either easy or hard for us. Stupid DNA.

Nice to see Daniel Dae Kim from 'Lost' get to continue living the sweet life on Hawaii. He was always one of my favorites from that OTHER island. I found that the guys they cast foir 'Dano' and Steve were perfectly fine. As long as my McGarret has a 'kick ass and take names' attitude, I can accept the actor playing him.


I just wish modern styles allowed him to have Jack Lord's bionic hair. Ne never got it ruffled or mussed up once in the classic original.

Good choice to only slightly update the fantastic theme song of the original. Without that I would have has ZERO confidence that the producers had the ability to pull off a cop drama where the Hawaiian setting was always one of the main characters.

VERDICT - Yes, another cop show but an interesting cast and location will bring me back for me.

11 comments:

Ravyn said...

We really enjoyed it as well. Lots of action, which was great and Alex O'Loughlin was pretty "eh" but Scott Caan made up for it - great role for him and showed off some comedic talent.

Mercurius Aulicus said...

Strictly speaking this isn't about the new TV show but have you ever heard the Australian punk band Radio Birdman's tribute to the original Hawaii 5-0?

"Aloha Steve And Danno" at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkKiZ9VSD6U

Wings1295 said...

Like Ravyn said, we liked it. Action-packed and fun, and the leads weren't all angsty with each other, which I liked. Fun stuff, can't wait for more!

M. D. Jackson said...

Well, of course Grace Park looks perfect. She's a Cylon.

Actually I have an old friend in Vancouver who recently went on a date with Grace Park. They went out for milkshakes at the White Spot.

Budd said...

not big on cop shows, but it was pretty good.

Grace Park is so hot. Perfect doesn't seem strong enough.

Kal said...

I have been to that White Spot M.D. - please not 'wet spot' jokes. I served the best little greasy burgers I have had in a long time.

csmith2884 said...

Oh no ..not even Grace Park's hotness could get me past the poor writing and out right theft. "We need a recruit right from the academy the bad guys won't know" I could hear Sean Connery from Untouchables. Oh, let's get the super hot surfer chick.I so see a reason for her to be in a bikini each week. Just sprinkle enough locals to be politically correct. Yawn then to top it off the super bad guy James Marsters from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the super good guy Alex O'Loughlin from Moonlight for a vamp on vamp finale battle. I was bored enough I want one to vamp out fly and bit the other. 6 episodes max is my prediction.

Megan said...

Damn those Asian women and their hair. It ain't right. The hair, I mean...

Kal said...

It's all DNA and genetic. They got the great hair and Canadians got all that testosterone that makes up great hockey player but causes our hair to fall out while giving us enormous penises.

Unknown said...

Can anyone tell me the name of the actress that played the serbian girlfriend? She was the one in the catfight with Grce Park in episode 2.

csmith2884 said...

brad that was Ivana Milicevic and yes I watched another.