Saturday, August 22, 2009

You Favorite Food Questions

The 'Blue Yak' had these food questions today so I thought I would answer some of them. Look forward to seeing yours too since I know many of you write about food on a regular basis. I added the last question and would ask you to add one too.

What food makes you sick? Beets. Beet Soup, which is weird because its a Ukrainian staple and I absolutely love BEATNICKS which are bread rolls made with beet leaves wrapped around them.

What is a food habit that you can't stand? Knew a person once who so divided up his food that at the end he had one bite of everything left on his plate and he rotated counter clockwise. I wonder if in Australia he would have went the other way.

What food habit did your sister/brother used to have growing up that you couldn't stand? She was so indignant about being a vegetarian or a vegan or not eating anything with a face but would eat chicken pieces and other things on a whim. We still had to make separate meatless chili, pizza and spaghetti sauce though. Keep your principles girl.


What food cracks you up? Ketchup packs. I could just snack on them. Just enough but never enough you know? They crack me up because I can carry them anywhere without having to have a full bottle of ketchup in the car. I always take them from anyplace I see them laying out.

What vegetable couldn't you live without? Green Onions


Food gadgets you remember as a child? That K-tel food chopper that was so dangerous and always made me fear that you would get finger added to anything you used it for. Dangerous steel blades that went everywhere and you still had to pick the food out of it once you chopped it up. I learned to be a wizard with a knife just so I could avoid using that piece of crap. Also the bacon defrosting tray - magic, pure magic. Had no idea the principle behind it but you would put a frozen pack of unwrapped bacon on this metal tray and then what felt like two seconds later it was ready to fry. Freakin eerie!


Food that was hidden, then discovered on the top shelf of your room? Hard candy. Tins of lemon drops and cracker/cheese packs and that jar of cup 'n soup that you could get with that great chicken taste.

Without mentioning robots, how do you think cooking in the future will be better? Star Trek brand replicators that will let you eat anything with all the taste and nutrition but none of the calories. Something will happen to the food when combined with our digestive process that will give us all the joy and none of the pain of eating the food that we love.

What is an annoying thing that bothers you about women and food? Women who think that just because they are denying themselves that everyone around them should. Or my Aunt who goes apoplectic if the fridge door is left open even long enough to poor a glass of juice. Drive me insane. She thinks the minute you break the seal then everything in the fridge instantly goes bad.


Food you once projectile vomited after being wasted? Oh this one is easy. Two baskets of chicken wings and about 5 Blue Typhoon coolers. The most interesting shade of purple came out of me...then I rubbed my eyes and they swelled up from the hot sauce residue on my fingers. I was a good looking boy coming out of that bathroom. Was on a boat actually...a booze cruise at the end of the school year for the staff. And I know NO ONE will believe this but after I came out of the bathroom I went on the deck for some air. Puked again over the side of the boat and though I saw a large log floating in the water. I pointed out to someone on the boat that that log is gonna hit us. She went to the side to see and it actually was a BODY! I SHIT YOU NOT! A woman had killed her husband on the lake weeks earlier and dumped him from a canoe late one night. Like these floaters do, he had just bobbed back up to the surface. I was useless to the cops as a witness though once they saw my swollen face. People I used to teach with and see at convention still bring that up.


My question is - What would be your last meal? Seafood stew with lobster, crab, shrimp, mussels, cephalopod pieces, oysters, potatoes, mushrooms, onions and leeks. Oysters Rockefeller and cold cold Hawaiian Punch (from the can) to drink. Pineapple Dream Squares for dessert and Beatnicks as the dipping bread for the stew.

From Wandering Coyote - What is your funniest family food memory?That is an easy one. In early November of one year my parents starting talking about having people over for a big Christmas party. They were making up a list of things and then my mother went into the kitchen. We assumed this was to check recipe books. But no..she made about 100 egg salad and tuna salad sandwiches and when we asked her what she was doing she said she was gonna freeze them for the party. After we laughed till we peed our pants because frozen sandwiches don't usually thaw into excellet party food. We ate nothing but egg salad and tuna salad sandwiches for two days - breakfast, lunch and diner.

From Nicole - What food do you love that is from another country? I gotta agree with her and go with the humble but delicious Perogy.

http://thatblueyak.blogspot.com/

7 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

Oh, man, I am killing myself laughing over your puking on the booze cruise story! A dead body! It's almost unreal - the purple puke, the blue coolers, the corpse, the cops...

I'll probably take this one up and post it over at my food site.

Wandering Coyote said...

OK, done! It's here:

http://retorte.blogspot.com/2009/08/your-favourite-food-questions.html

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Thanks for not mentioning or noticing that at first I wrote one of my seafood soup incredients to be CRAP and not CRAB.

Tells you alot about our justice system doesn't it when a pukey drunk with swollen eyes is no longer considered a good witness.

Wandering Coyote said...

Actually, I didn't even see that little typo - I was probably laughing too hard!

Wandering Coyote said...

Don't change the typo - it's too precious.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I detest red beets.

Wings1295 said...

Wow - That is quite a list! And it includes some wacky stuff, including a body! Wow, Cal... Just wow!