Monday, August 24, 2009

Meme of Firsts

Thanks to Electric Cerebrectomy and the Samurai Frog for this one. I do love to answer questions about myself because I ROCK THE CATBOX (or the Casbah)!

1. Who was your FIRST date?
Tara Crandall. I went over to her place to tell her that my friend no longer wanted to be her boyfriend. What a coward. I was so worried that she would be devastated but she laughed her ass off. We were watching 'KILLDOZER' at her house and it took me the length of the movie to get from the chair I was in to the couch she was sitting on (but not for any lack of trying or trickery on her part). Yeh, I was smooooth. She kissed me once and her parents came home. I rode my bike all night and the wheels didn't touch the cement once. I was 14 and it was the last day of school for the year. Sigh.

But my BEST date with her was when I visited her in Winnipeg about a year later. We were crazy for each other and my friend Danny realized that he was stupid to break up with her when HER friend kinda rejected him. He went out in the cold Winnipeg snow storm to die I assumed. Tara and I went to look for him and held hands in one glove like two Inuit lovers. On our search 'loop' we stopped at every apartment building along the way to warm up and kissed in each lobby for ten minutes or more. When we got home were were covered with wet sticky snow (shut up you perverts) and feel asleep on the basement hide-a-bed and her parents just let us fall asleep together. It was my most romantic time with a girl I think and I was only 15.

2. Do you still talk to your FIRST love?
If you count Tara then yeh, on Facebook sometimes. Her son is going to have his first child soon so that will make her a grandmother (!). That freaks me out a bit. As for the girl I loved all my life and asked to marry me? Um..no. That three day later rejection thing kind of soured me on her relative attractiveness.

3. What was your FIRST alcoholic drink?
Mike Rasmussen and I drank his dad's orange wine (at age 14) that was kept in those basket bottles. We were very drunk and then his brother came home with two friends who jumped all over us until we puked.

4. What was your FIRST job?
I delivered newspapers and worked as a ball spotter and caddy at the weekend golf tournaments but my first REAL job was a Woolco as a stock boy. Fell asleep in the back rug room one Saturday and slept the whole shift away. They had pizza pops that they sold before those were available as a product everywhere and they were the best tasting things ever. Christmas sucked because they hired this old goof with his truck and we had to pick up carts from the parking lot, load them on his truck then unload them. Stupid waste of time.

5. What was your FIRST car?
1977 Volkswagon Beetle. I loved that car. Thirteen dollars a month of gas and a heater that could have held me alive in -60 Celcius. It was turbocharged (the heater, not the car).

6. Where did you go on your FIRST ride on an airplane?
1972 - December 22. We were off for five years of living in Germany. I chased a man's hat across the tarmac that blew off in the snowstorm as we were getting on the plane and he gave me five dollars. I ran off to get the 'Big Josh' figure that I had seen in the gift shop but didn't ask my mom for. She was stressed enough. Of course I assume stressing her by running away from the plane wasn't cool. Tommy Hunter was on our plane and we were FORCED to meet him. Always hated him and his music and his gay show on Canadian TV that always got you kicked out of the house after the hockey game on Saturday Night regardless of temperature. I think that is when Mom and Dad got lucky. Must have been Don Messner's fiddle playing. But still we blamed pizza face Tommy Hunter for our frozen toes.

7. Who was your FIRST best friend & do you still talk?
No we don't talk. The downside of a base brat's life. The upside is that you learn quick how to fit in with all kinds of people. That 'schmooze' skill has served me well over the years.

8. Whose wedding did you attend the FIRST time?
My two best friends Shauna and Adam. We were friends in high school, then college and University. It was great. She was so beautiful and he sang 'Love me Tender' to her. All the boys rocked the party. They married during my third year in University while he was still in Dentistry school. She had already graduated as a hygenist.

9. Tell us about your FIRST roommate.
The above mentioned Adam. He is the youngest of eight brothers and for a long time was the closest thing I ever had to having a brother myself. We lived on the top floor of an old house that had been divided into four suites. Mrs Welgiss, the sweet old lady was the landlord. We were close to University and could walk to 82nd street in minutes to see the strippers and play pool or go bowling whenever we were high and needed the distraction. I loved it. We had many adventures and misadventures. He went into student housing the next year when he entered the Faculty of Dentistry. I moved in with other friends still within walking distance of the University. We saw each other alot.

10. If you had one wish, what would it be (other than more wishes)?
No more want or need in the world, peace and superpowers - time travel or the powers of the 'Resurrection Man' - each time he died he came back with a new super power.

11. What is something you would learn if you had the chance?
More languages. A martial art skill that allowed me to diffuse a situation with minimum damage to myself or the other party. I have taken archery, fencing, shooting and tai kwon do but would like to learn a way to integrate all of those into one style like Batman. I would like to understand more complex principles of engineering.

12. Did you marry the FIRST person you were in love with?
Oh no and that is a long, sad story that I have already hinted at.

13. What were the first lessons you ever took and why?
Skating. Like all good Canadian boys.

14. What is the first thing you do when you get home?
Boxers and a t-shirt baby.

4 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

#6 totally cracked me up! OMG - you were FORCED to meet Tommy Hunter! You are so scarred for life now, I bet, aren't you? LOL!

Booksteve said...

I hate these things because I love these things and I can never do them because the answers are so often...complicated. Sigh. I'm not like other people.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Coyote - I hate Tommy Hunter sooooooo much. I hear one of his songs and I get a cold chill from the memories of sitting in a snow bank for an hour. Fiddle music does the same thing to me. He is the same to me as a wet boot or 'soaker' as we say up here.

Steve - That surprises me since you are such a good writer and storyteller. I don't get it. Lisa is the same way. I would love to read both of your answers to these questions.

Wings1295 said...

Great and funny stuff there, Cal.

Interesting thing about memes like this is that we get peeks into the real personalities of the bloggers we follow. Cool stuff!