Saturday, August 29, 2009

Here We FRICKIN Go Again!


I just wish that ONE day would pass when I am not confronted by knowledge of how messed up the world of the octopus is. Not only can these evil bastards slide their boneless masses through holes no bigger than a quarter; not only can they grasp tools, but now it appears that at least one species of cephalopod can MIMIC the behaviors and shapes of many other sea creatures. Beautiful. Does the octopus do this trick to entertain? To inform? NO!!! OF COURSE NOT..HAVE YOU BEEN LISTENING TO ANYTHING I HAVE BEEN SAYING ALL THESE MONTHS????!!!!! They mimic the movements and colors of others so that they can get over on them. There is no way you will ever convince me that this skill is instinctual. There are some serious higher order brains at work here. I should be impressed after watching this clip but I am terrified beyond the ability for rational thought. If I went around doing what this thing does I would be clubbed to death and left in a ravine. Its NOT right or normal or safe. I hate the oceans. What's next, I ask you? God Damn!

"The mimic octopus, Thaumoctopus mimicus, is a species of octopus that has a strong ability to mimic other creatures. Its normal colouring consists of brown and white stripes or spots. Living in the tropical seas of South East Asia, it was not discovered officially until 1998, off the coast of Sulawesi.

The octopus mimics the physical likeness and movements of more than fifteen different species, including sea snakes, lionfish, flatfish, brittle stars, giant crabs, sea shells, stingrays, flounders, jellyfish, sea anemones, and mantis shrimp. It accomplishes this by contorting its body and arms, and changing colour."




http://presurfer.blogspot.com/2009/08/mimic-octopus.html

5 comments:

Nicole said...

That is AWESOME!

Word Verification: manoh
Second Word Verification Because I Somehow Screwed Up manoh: ethatta

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Remind me to remind you what the term 'drinking the Kool-Aid means' you octopus lover. For all of your many gifts you have this ONE fatal flaw. Looking awesome and doing awesome things is HOW THEY GETCHA!!!!!

Nicole said...

LOL

Word Verification: clunche

Wandering Coyote said...

I don't get this whole anti-octopus/squid thing you have going here.

I for one think this is a very beautiful sea-creature.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

They are evil. Thats all you need to know. Freakishly smart with ability to hold tools and change their appearance on the fly. They are as different from us as any creature can get and they KNOW it. They dream of taking it all away from us and making us their slaves. In the end it will either be us or them and I choose US. They terrify me thus I fear them.